Thursday, August 6, 2009

Lookee what I got!!!!


Damn....another piece of furniture!

Oh wait, that's what my man said. Then he heaved out a big sigh and forked over some cash. Yay for love! (awww...he's the best thing EVAH)

Anyway, I bought an antique treadle sewing machine!! See?:

Davis treadle

Side view, Davis treadle

Isn't she gorgeous?!

She's built by Davis, and American company. She's a High Arm, Vertical Feed treadle sewing machine from the late 1800's. And she's all mine!!

Davis machine

In all fairness, the cabinet's been refinished, and the machine has seen better days (most of her decals have come off and there's lots of wear and chips in the finish), so I'm sure she's not much of a collector's item. She seems to run smoothly and has all the attachments and such. Including almost all of the original manual!

Here's some of the stuff in her drawers....it's OK, she won't mind you peeking!

Attachments, including a ruffler and a pleater, among others:

Sewing bits and parts

Tons of thread on
wooden spools:

More thread

There's also 3 original bobbins, a good needle, some glass buttons and a small collection of thimbles! Though some of the manual is in pieces, I have all the important info, like how to thread the machine....which is awesome. I'll figure out the threading once I can get some archival tape and repair the manual. It's going to be put in plastic for preservation, since it's pretty fragile.

Of course, I haven't found much online about this specific machine. I'd love to know what the model name is and get a better idea of it's age (though I know that it was made between 1886 and 1924, because that's when Davis was at that location). Anyone with info or the same machine, feel free to leave comments if you're feeling generous...

Please? Anyone?

Hello?

*tap tap* Is this thing on?

1 comments:

the Provident Woman September 1, 2009 at 2:02 p.m.  

What an awesome find.

Wanted you to know I have a giveaway on my site going until Friday night. theprovidentwoman.com click on the giveaway in the far right side bar.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Blogger Templates Web Design

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP