Friday, January 29, 2010

Etsy Artist Feature: Solis Handmade Jewelry



So once again, it's time for another feature of one of my talented, local Etsy teammates. This time, solisjewelry! She makes very beautiful silver and gold-plated crystal jewelry, among other fabulous stuff. You'll fall for each piece...I just know it!

Remember to go visit her shop and show some Etsy love. Click on her header, below, to check it all out!




Tell us about how you started making jewelry.

It began as a therapeutic and creative outlet while recuperating from Interstitial Cystitis, a chronic illness I was diagnosed with in late 2007. At first I just gave the jewelry away to friends, but I soon started selling and volunteering at a local boutique in Nelson, BC, where I was living at the time.

How did you end up on Etsy?

  
While volunteering at that boutique, my co-workers encouraged me to try etsy. Since I moved back to Vancouver, BC, I have been selling exclusively on etsy, with plans to expand to a few local boutiques and to try craft fairs.

There are a LOT of jewelry sellers on Etsy. How do you compete?

  
I use high quality materials and spend a lot of effort making sure the pieces are sturdy despite how delicate they appear. I am also constantly trying to approve my photos as I think that is the best way to get noticed on etsy.

What do you think makes you stand out from all the others?

 
While in Nelson, I came to appreciate the notion of healing crystals. The mountains there are sunny and filled with quartz crystal, which some say contributes to the serene and healing atmosphere there. That atmosphere, and the process of making jewelry really helped renew my optimism in a very negative time for me. I try to infuse my pieces with that spirit of healing and renewal, hence the inspiration for my line’s name, Sol Invictus, “The Unconquered Sun”.

Tell us about an average day for you.
 

I wake up, walk Aggie my Jack Russell, check my shop, answer convos, mail any orders, and try to do a blog post every day. I don’t design every day, but when I do I am most creative at night.

What do you use for inspiration?
 

I find inspiration in nature, specifically crystals, and in fashion and art.

Share one business tip with all the Etsy sellers out there.
 

Don’t buy materials unless you have a plan for them! It can get expensive really fast.

Do you sell in any other venues?
 

I currently sell only on etsy.

Do you have a blog or any other social media people can check out?
 

My blog is at http://solisjewelry.blogspot.com, my twitter is http://twitter.com/solisjewelry, and my facebook is http://facebook.com/solisjewelry. Come say hi on any one of these sites. I always welcome new twitter friends!


And finally, what's your favorite thing in your Etsy shop and why?
 

My favorite item would have to be one of my single plated crystal pendants http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=37382773. They are so simple and naturally beautiful. Quartz is said to bring about healing and to amplify positive energies. Call me crazy, but I feel a little of that power when I wear one!


Thanks so much, solisjewelry!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Blogger Templates Web Design

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP