Friday, May 6, 2011

Crafting mania

So,  I've been trying (with little success) to get certain vintage-style projects finished (several dresses, a suit, and that darned crinoline!) but I've managed instead to start another new dress, pine over vintage swimsuit patterns, and finally receive the book about aprons from Bramcost Publications that I won...oh boy I need to focus!

With regards to the book, it's "How To Make Aprons", republished by Bramcost Publications, and I'll be reviewing it for Amazon as soon as I can sew a few items from it. It's amazing!

Republished book

Originally published in 1953, it has all sorts of lovely aprons of all kinds, for the whole family, including some accessories like potholders and such. The wonderful part is that there are patterns for each and every one of the 40-plus aprons in there, all drawn up in little grids - so easy to enlarge!! There are a couple that I'm particularly interested in, and have already enlarged one. I'll show you progress later!

As for summer, we still don't have it yet. BRRR! I want the warm weather to come so badly, I can taste it. That's why I've been pining over vintage swimsuit patterns, like these from 1959 (I LOVE the red one on the right....it's a two-piece!):

Swimsuit patterns 1959

Or these, from 1957:

Swimsuit patterns 1957

And I would LOVE to be able to wear these fantastic vintage summer outfits, from 1951:

Summer patterns 1951


Gosh, what I wouldn't do for an extra-long vacation for sewing, right now! I haven't even sewn anything new for my shop for the last....ever! SIGH

Is it just me that feels this year is blasting by at warp speed?

2 comments:

DearHelenHartman May 7, 2011 at 6:05 a.m.  

My Mama was a seamstress and once made me a bathing suit. Big mistake. When it got wet, it got heavy... so heavy.. so... oops!! Luckily I was 10 and nothing to show but still! The pattern graphics are just ahhh-inspiring.

Andie May 7, 2011 at 8:23 a.m.  

Yikes! That's definitely something to keep in mind, DearHelenHartman! I'll try it with both modern, stretchy fabric and very fitted cottons and see how they turn out - in the shower - before going into water in public! LOL

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Blogger Templates Web Design

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP